Toddlers and kids love making things with their hands. That’s a fact. Whether it’s something harmless like making shapes and “snakes” out of playdough, or something a bit more inconvenient, like expressing “their deepest thoughts” by grabbing some paint and using the walls as canvas –something we will talk about very soon, by the way –. Since we’d all rather they picked the former option, we’ve thought it would be cool to share with you this super easy homemade playdough recipe.
The best thing about this homemade playdough recipe is that you will make it in less than 30 minutes, and it will last for over 6 months! You will just have to store it in a tupperware somewhere dry, and that’s it!
Well, that’s actually not the best thing. The best thing about this homemade playdough is that it will help your kid develop their fine motor skills!
Difficulty: honestly, we wish everything in life were as easy as this recipe is.
- 2 cups of plain flour – 256 grams
- 2 tbps of vegetable oil – 30ml
- 1/2 cup of salt – 100 grams
- 2 tbps of cream of tartar –16 grams
- Boiling water until you get your desired texture (up to 1.5 cups) – up to 360ml
- Food colouring
Homemade playdough recipe
- First of all, mix the flour, the salt, the cream of tartar and the oil in a bowl
- Boil the water
- If you want to add colour to the mix, the moment is now. You just have to add some drops of food colouring to the boiling water
- Now, add the (coloured) boiling water to the mix (little by little) until you get the desired consistency
- Let it cool down
- Finally, take it out of the bowl and knead it for a couple of minutes, until it’s not sticky anymore
If the playdough is still a bit sticky after having kneaded it for what felt like centuries, just add a bit more flour until it feels right!
Isn’t this homemade playdough recipe amazing? One of every toddler’s favourite toys made with things we can all find in our kitchen! Do you have your own homemade playdough recipe? Don’t hesitate to share it with us!
We post on our blog quite often, so follow us on Facebook and Twitter to be notified every time we write something new!