First time we saw a full moon lamp on the internet, we just fell in love with it. They look soooo nice. Like, every room with a full moon lamp automatically looks 29283 times better. We even thought of buying one, but having watched Art Attack as kids, we just felt like we could really make it ourselves. Specially after our latest DIY success: our amazing homemade playdough.
And it was indeed a great idea, because it’s actually super easy to make, and it will make your kid feel like the ultimate space explorer!
What you will need to make your own Full Moon Lamp:
Most of the things you will need in order to make your own full moon lamp are actually quite easy to find in any store, yay!
- One balloon
- Paper towel
- A plastic cup
- A marker
- A lampholder
- A brush
- A sponge (the wider the pores the better)
- Acrylic paint (ochre and ivory white)
Steps to make your own DIY Full Moon Lamp
- Fill the balloon until it reaches the size you want for your lamp
- Use the plastic cup and the marker to draw a circle around the balloon’s knot
- Mix the glue with some water (1:1)
- Dip the balloon in the glue or “paint it” using a brush
- Stick the toilet paper around the balloon using the brush –three layers –. Use as many glue-water mix as you need and try to leave a regular surface
- Let dry
- Paint the sphere ivory white
- Use the sponge to paint some areas of the moon ochre
- Let dry
- Pop the balloon
- Add the lampholder to the base of the balloon
Full moon lamps are so easy to make, they can become a very simple, elegant and unique decoration item. You can make several lamps in different sizes and place them around the garden, the living room, your kid’s bedroom… Options are endless!
Don’t hesitate to share your full moon lamps with us on Facebook and, Twitter! We’ll be super happy to see your otherworldly creations!